The Durham Miners’ Association is looking for the right person to help us organise our business and our annual Gala. We’re going through great change at the moment and have need for a full-time Business Manager.
You could be part of the brilliant team which is taking the DMA into the future.
This is a full time post based in the historic Redhills, Durham Miners Hall.
You’ll need to passionate about trade union and community values and committed to all that the DMA stands for.
Please see below for a full job description.
• Closing date: Friday 7 Aug 2020 - 12:00
• Interview date: 13 Aug 2020
To apply, please send a covering letter and your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post title: Business Manager
Reports to: The DMA Secretary and will be an employee of the Durham Miners Association (unincorporated)
Place of work: Redhills, Durham Miners Hall, Flass Street, Durham, DH1 4BE
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, Mon to Fri (flexible). 30 days holiday plus statutory days
Salary: Up to £28,000 p.a.
Outline: The Business Manager is a full-time role which will administer, co-ordinate and service the entire business of the Durham Miners Association.
Purpose: The Business Manager is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the DMA together with the delivery of administrative, clerical, secretarial and support services to Officers and members of the DMA.
Job description and duties:
• To act as the single point of reference for all DMA business.
• To fully support the DMA secretary in all dairy, welfare and administrative functions.
• To provide a full administrative service to the DMA Ltd Board and DMA 1869 Executive including meeting co-ordination and minute taking.
• To ensure prompt and accurate transactions for the DMA business and keep books for accountancy purposes.
• To provide accurate and intelligible financial reports for governance bodies.
• To organise all logistical aspects of the Durham Miners’ Gala including attending multi-agency meetings, booking infrastructure, Cathedral liaison and invitations to the Gala and surrounding events (this list is indicative only).
• To take overall responsibility for the running of the DMA estate, maintenance programme and lettings including care of tenants in the Miners Hall and other parts of the DMA estate.
• To manage reception, gardening and cleaning of the estate buildings.
• To work closely with other team members to ensure a successful events programme.
• To manage the site and buildings maintenance programme.
• To administer the annual subscriptions round for DMA members.
• To liaise with and facilitate meetings of Full Members.
• To work closely with the Heritage Fund team to ensure a successful outcome to the Redhills renewal programme.
• To ensure ‘front of house’ reception and services are to the highest standard.
• To create and maintain data bases for invitations to events, emailing and communications.
• To organise the annual Thomas Hepburn memorial service.
• To undertake any reasonable duties pertinent to the post and agreed with the holder’s line manager. Weekend and evening work will form part of the role, so a flexible approach to duties is a prerequisite.
• Educated to degree level or equivalent life experience
• Proven track record of self-sufficiency and motivation to deliver programmes of work.
• Demonstrable high levels or organisational skills.
• IT literate (with all aspects of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Database management)
• Good verbal and written presentation skills.
• Track record of office and book-keeping management.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Prepared to work flexibly to meet business need.
• Evidence of leading and being part of a team.
• Committed to the DMA and Redhills projects and ethos.
• Demonstrable understanding of the political, social and business environment in which the DMA sits.
• Capable of staying calm in pressured environments.
• Able to command respect and give clear instruction to those in their charge.
• Able to work with a variety of competing interest groups.
• Able to work with other members of the greater DMA team including Friends of Durham Miners Gala and the Heritage Fund team.
• Able to contribute to and implement continuous improvement programmes to keep the DMA being the best it can be.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ALL DMA POSTS
All post holders must undertake their responsibilities in such a way as to:
• Promote the DMA’s good name and intentions
• Respect the DMA Rule book and its intentions
• Work on behalf of current DMA and members and the communities they represent.
• Respect trade union and community values
To apply, please send a covering letter and your CV to: email@example.com